– Universals, while not real in and of themselves, have a linguistic and intellectual reality that derives from their participation in particulars.
– Authority, while essential, is by itself insufficient to an understanding of dogma; reason must understand dogma by analogies from the material world.
– The classics of pre-Christian philosophy are informed by God and contain mystical prefigurations of Christian teaching.
– Seemingly opposed views within the authoritative deposit if the faith can often be reconciled by observing the development of a thought throughout the works of the authors in question, by the establishment of best texts, and by the application of hermeneutical dialectic.
– Intentions, not deeds, count before God; human works are morally indifferent and do nothing to secure either merit or blame.
– The power to bind and loose sins is held only by those discreet and holy bishops who are worthy successors of the apostles.
Peter Abelard is a French scholar. The importance of his works to the history of science lies in the fact that he advocated the use of reason and pointed out the folly of relying on authorities.
In the Sic et Non (Yes and No), Abelard showed the inconsistencies among most respected theological authorities.
Peter Abelard was a magnificent and popular lecturer. By many, he is considered the founder of the University of Paris.
Abelard looked at theology as the “handmaiden” of knowledge – he believed that man could gain a greater knowledge of God through the use of reason.
Major Works of Peter Abelard
– The Story of My Misfortunes (1132)
– Letters (1132-1135)
– Sic et Non (1136)
– Ethica (1136)
– Theologia (1140)
4 thoughts on “Peter Abelard”
Nice post. I be taught one thing more difficult on different blogs everyday. It can at all times be stimulating to read content from different writers and follow slightly something from their store. I’d choose to use some with the content on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a hyperlink in your net blog. Thanks for sharing.
This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!|
I am genuinely pleased to glance at this weblog posts which consists of plenty of useful information, thanks for providing these kinds of statistics.|
Wonderful work! This is the type of info that are supposed to be shared around the net. Shame on Google for not positioning this submit upper! Come on over and visit my website . Thank you =)