Edward Chamberlin taught economics at Harvard (1937-1967) and made significant contributions to microeconomics, particularly on competition theory and consumer choice, and their connection to prices.
One of the most influential economists of his time, Edward Chamberlin coined the term “product differentiation” to describe how a supplier may be able to charge a greater amount for a product than perfect competition would allow.
One of his important work is: Theory of Monopolistic Competition (1933, 8th ed. 1962) and Toward a More General Theory of Value (1957, repr. 1982).
Major Works of Edward Chamberlin
– Duopoly: Values where sellers are few, 1929, QJE
– Theory of Monopolistic Competition, 1933
– Advertising Costs and Equilibrium, 1944, RES
– Proportionality, Divisibility and Economics of Scale, 1948, QJE
– An Experimental Imperfect Market, 1948, JPE
– Product Heterogeneity and Public Policy, 1950, AER
– Monopolistic Competition Revisited, 1951
– Impact of Recent Monopoly Theory on the Schumpeterian System, 1951, REStat
– Full Cost and Monopolistic Competition, 1952, EJ
– The Product as an Economic Variable, 1953, QJE
– Some Aspects of Nonprice Competition, 1954, in Huegy, editor, Role and Nature of Competition
– Measuring the Degree of Monopoly and Competition, 1954, in Chamberlin, editor, Monopoly and Competition and their Regulation
– The Monopoly Power of Labor, 1957, in Wright, editor, Impact of the Union
– On the Origin of Oligopoly, 1957, EJ
– Towards a More General Theory of Value, 1957
4 thoughts on “Edward Chamberlin”
Magnificent web site. Lots of useful info here. I’m sending it to several friends ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks for your effort!
An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a co-worker who has been conducting a little research on this. And he actually bought me lunch simply because I stumbled upon it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending time to talk about this issue here on your internet site.
I enjoy the efforts you have put in this, regards for all the great content.
It’s actually a nice and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.