– Observation bears out the truth of the Copernican theory that the earth is not the center of the universe.
– Aristotle’s claim that heavier bodies fall faster thab lighter ones can be disproved by observation.
– Controlled experimentation and the use of quantitative methods of reporting observations yield better results than do casual observations and extended discussion of qualities and tendencies.
– Authoritarian pronouncements about real phenomena must be tested against the evidence given us in nature.
– The universe is written in the language if mathematics.
Italian astronomer, mathematician, and physicist.
By his persistent investigation of natural laws he laid foundations for modern experimental science, and by the construction of astronomical telescopes he greatly enlarged humanity’s vision and conception of the universe.
He gave a mathematical formulation to many physical laws.
Major Works of Galileo Galilei
– The Sidereal Messenger (1610)
– The Assayer (1623)
– Dialogue on the Two Great World Systems (1632)
– Discourses on Two New Sciences (1638)