Fido-fido theories which explain some concept in terms of a direct relation to an object.
The ‘Fido-fido theories of meaning says that the meaning of a word is an object it stands for (the name ‘Fido’ means the dog Fido); the term is thus a nickname for a naming theory of meaning.
The ‘Fido’-Fido theory of belief is an extension of this idea, and says that to have a belief is to stand in a direct relation to a proposition which one is believing.
S Schiffer, ‘The “Fido”-Fido Theory of Belief, Philosophical Perspectives (1987)
Internet and communication
- FIDO Alliance, an industry consortium working on internet authentication mechanisms, including the U2F protocol for two-factor authentication.
- Fido Solutions, a Canadian cellular, home phone and Internet provider
- FidoNet, a worldwide bulletin board system computer network, related to the FIDO bulletin board software package.
- A microcontroller version of the Freescale ColdFire (part of the Motorola 68000 series)
.fidoa type of Cineon Graphics Data file format.
Military and space
- Fido Explosives Detector, a portable explosives detector
- Fire Direction Officer or FDO, the third ranking officer in a US artillery battery
- Flight Dynamics Officer, a position in ground control of space missions
- Fog Investigation and Dispersal Operation, a fog dispersal system developed in the Second World War
- Mark 24 Mine or FIDO, a U.S. acoustic homing torpedo used during World War II
- Roger Grosjean, an MI5 double agent (codename Fido) in World War II